Since last winter, I've been telling him I would try to duplicate the treat. I did some searching, really what did we do before google? and found the Two and Twenty Blackbirds recipe for Salted Honey Pie. I'm not sure this pie was quite as good as the ones on Celebrity because everything tastes better when you're on vacation but it was pretty darn close. I wish it hadn't gotten so brown on the top but otherwise, I thought it was delicious. This is a great custard pie if you're looking for an alternative to pumpkin for a holiday dinner.
Salty Honey Pie
Recipe Courtesy of Joy the Baker
- Your favorite pie crust recipe
- ½ cup butter melted
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup honey (the best quality you can find)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 or 2 Tbsp flake sea salt for finishing (like Maldon)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, corn meal and salt. Add the honey and the eggs one and a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in the cream, vinegar, and vanilla until mixture is silky smooth.
- Pour filling to shell, and bake pie for 45-60 minutes, or until the surface of the pie is puffed and golden, with the middle still slightly wiggly.
- Cool for at least an hour, or overnight. Serve with whipped cream or enjoy without, as we did!