These potatoes remind me of the scalloped potatoes of my childhood. Layered among the cream and topped with cheese, they melt in your mouth and you can't resist a second helping. A perfect side dish for a holiday dinner or a weeknight meatloaf dinner.
Ruth's Chris Potatoes Au Gratin
Recipe Courtesy of Epicurious
- 3 to 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 2. Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch slices, then quarter each of those slices. 3. Beat together the cream, milk, flour, garlic, salt and pepper by hand just until well combined. 4. Coat the inside of a large baking dish with the softened butter. 5. Arrange one-fourth of the potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Pour some of the cream mixture over the potatoes. Repeat this layering step three more times. 6. Cover the potatoes and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake another 40 minutes or until the potatoes are starting to brown on top. 7. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top of the potatoes and continue to bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned and the potatoes are tender. 8. Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve.