Do you have a favorite cookie? Mine is probably chocolate chip but a close second is a good sugar cookie. When I came across the recipe for ULTIMATE Sugar Cookie, I stopped searching and bookmarked the recipe.
Why is this recipe the Ultimate Sugar Cookie? The secret ingredients are cream cheese and melted butter. The cream cheese, I totally get but melted butter just seems counter intuitive to cookies. The results a slightly crispy, yet creamy sugar cookie!
The Ultimate Sugar Cookie:
Yields about 18 large size cookies
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus about 1/3 cup for rolling
2 ounces of cream cheese (cut into eight pieces so it's easier to incorporate)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and still warm
1/3 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Add 1 1/2 cups sugar and cream cheese to a large bowl. Pour warm butter over sugar mixture and whisk until combined. Add vegetable oil and whisk again until incorporated.
- Add egg, cream, vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Add half of flour mixture and gently mix in with a spatula or wooden spoon until almost incorporated, then do the same with the remaining flour.
- Measure 1/3 cup sugar into a bowl. Using about a 2" size scoop (approximately 2 1/2 tablespoon size), scoop cookie dough, drop into hands and roll gently into a ball. Working in batches, roll balls of dough in the sugar to coat evenly and then space a few inches apart on cookie sheets. There will be enough room for 6 large cookies per sheet.
- Using bottom of a drinking glass or a measuring cup, flatten each cookie so it is about 3" in diameter.
- Sprinkle top of each cookie with additional sugar
- Top with colored sprinkles if desired.
- Bake one sheet at a time, just until edges are barely beginning to turn golden - about 12-13 minutes. Rotate cookie sheets halfway through baking time.
- Remove pan from oven, and allow cookies to cool 2 minutes on the sheets on a baking rack. Then, slide cookies on parchment paper off sheet to the rack and allow to cool.