For our first Secret Recipe Club of 2016, I was assigned ButterYum. Patricia, says, "I'm of British and Italian decent, the mother of 4, and I've been married to my wonderful husband for more than 25 years. I had always dreamed of going to culinary school, but reality hit when I married and started a family, so I took matters into my own hands and taught myself to cook and bake from scratch. I started with zero kitchen skills and now I teach cooking classes!" How fun is that?!!
After enjoying a tour of Patricia's blog, I chose these Slow Cooker Caramelized Apples. As a child, I remember enjoying baked apples with brown sugar. This recipe is an even more delicious version of those baked apples! I love that these can be made in the slow cooker, which is perfect for simmering these in the brown sugar and butter. On the stove, they would require a constant stir and you would risk burning. Served warm alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream ... yum!
Slow Cooker Caramelized Applesserves 10
- 8 cups diced baking apples (peeled and cored)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 dash freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Put all the ingredient in a slow cooker and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and cook on high until apples are tender, about 3 hours. The yummy salted-cinnamon-vanilla-caramel sauce that coats the apples will thicken slightly upon cooling. Cook uncovered for a thicker sauce.