I’m all about…
My best friends,
Making people happy,
Any and all sports,
[Attempts at] cooking,
All things pretty and scrumptious.
She has a beautiful blog, with delicious recipes and other fun posts. Stop by and check out Pumpkins and Peonies! As always, it was hard to decide which recipe to choose. For SRC posts, seems I move towards the sweets and this month was no exception. I chose Jess' Deep Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins.
The flavor of these muffins is delicious, cocoa and chocolate chips create a wonderful chocolate treat. I found this batter to be VERY thick, I read the recipe twice to see if perhaps I added too much flour? When I make these again, I will cut back the flour by at least 1/2 cup and reduce the baking time by five or so minutes. As written, the muffins were a little dry for my liking but I warmed them in the microwave for about 30 seconds, creating a warm gooey muffin.
Dark Chocolate Muffins:
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. milk
2-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. cocoa powder
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 scant c. semisweet chocolate chunks or chips
Powdered sugar (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place oven rack in center of oven. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until smooth. Add cream cheese and beat together with butter until smooth. Blend in sugar and light brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and blend well. Fold in sour cream and milk.
- In a medium bowl, blend together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, making sure no ingredients remain unblended. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Using a large scoop, scoop generous amounts of batter into each muffin cup. Place a couple of chocolate chunks in the tops of each muffin.
- Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until muffins spring back when gently pressed. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan. When cooled, dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Yield: 18 muffins