This is a delicious chili recipe and the addition of the pumpkin give the chili a nice creamy texture. You will never know this recipe has pumpkin in it. Although the recipe is designed for the slow cooker, you could easily make this stove top.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin and Bean Chili
Recipe Courtesy of This Mama Cooks
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground venison, turkey, chicken or lean beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder or your favorite gourmet chili blend
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or ground chipotle chile (optional)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I used beef broth)
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin oil (optional)
- Cook onion, bell pepper and ground meat over medium high heat until meat is cooked through.
- Add salt and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add spices (chili powder through cumin) and mix thoroughly. Cook for 1 minute.
- Place onion, pepper, meat, garlic and spice mixture into a slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Dish chili into bowls and top with a small dollop of no fat sour cream or a large pinch of shredded cheese.